It is your assignment today to leave your house, go find an Australian and give them a great, big, squishy hug! Happy Hug an Aussie Day, wine country-ers! A little info about Australian wines:
- There are no native grapes here, only those adopted.
- Australia is home to some of the oldest grape vines in the world. The disease phylloxera demolished most of Europe’s well-known vineyards in the 1800s. The vines that survived were sent Down Under.
- There are 60+ wine regions in Australia.
- Australia exports about 105 million gallons of wine each year.
- Grapes that grow well here are Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, and Riesling.
Here’s an awesome list of li-smacking Aussie wines, composed by our Australian wine expert, Bill Stobbs, to get the love fest going!
Bill’s Fab 10 Aussie picks
Tait the Wild Ride (Shiraz/Grenache/Mataro) $17.99
Tait the Ball Buster (Shiraz/Cab/Merlot) $18.99
Serafino GSM (Grenache/Shiraz/Mataro) $18.99
Serafino Shiraz $18.99
Howard Clover Shiraz $17.99
Howard Picnic Sauvignon Blanc $13.99
Oliverhill Red Silk Shiraz $19.99
Cascabel Composé $16.99
Andrew Hardy Little Ox Shiraz $18.99
Chris Ringland Shiraz $29.99