Have you ever found yourself in a bit of bind? You have this great cigar, but no way to cut it, light it, or even store it. What does one do in this crazy situation? Do not fret here are a few tricks that may come in handy one day!
- How do you light a cigar without a wooden match or butane lighter? Always keep a few pieces of cedar with you for an emergency. You can get cedar at any cigar retailer as it’s used in most cigar boxes as a divider. Simply break off a piece and light it, use the lit end to light your cigar. This way your cigar will not taste like lighter fluid.
- How do you cut a cigar without a cutter? While this could be a major problem, some may say to bite the tip off. Definitely do not bite your cigar! You could use something such as pencil or an end of a paper clip to act as a punch. Be sure to use extreme caution not to damage the cigar, and only use this method in the event of an emergency.
- How do you store cigars without a humidor? You can make a temporary humidor by dampening a paper towel with distilled water. Place it on one side of a clean plastic container, place your cigars on the opposite side (keep them in the cellophane), and then place the lid on top but do not seal it. Remember this is meant for a temporary storage. Too much moisture can cause mold and mildew to grow or soggy cigars.
- Never store cigars in your refrigerator! This will actually dry out your cigars. Always store your cigars at a 70-degree temperature and 70% humidity for best results.
- Always use distilled water for your humidor. Distilled water is pure and contains no minerals that will “gunk” up your humidor. Never use tap water.
Heather Rogers, Certified Retail Tobacconist and Cicerone Beer Server – Tampa
Follow me on Twitter @abcbeerheatherr