DID YOU KNOW?
– In ancient Babylon, the bride’s father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead wine (fermented honey wine), he could drink for a month after the wedding. Because their calendar was lunar or moon-based, this period of free mead was called the “honey-month, or what we now call the “honeymoon.”
– Thomas Jefferson’s salary was $25,000 per year. His expenses were great. In 1801 Jefferson spent $6,500 for provisions and groceries, $2,700 for servants, $500 for Lewis’s salary and $3,000 for wine!
(Jefferson’s dumbwaiter at Monticello to his wine cellar)
– A 4 ounce glass of wine has 85 calories.
– Mesopotamians are credited with producing the first wines, in 6000BC.
– Wine’s first purpose was as a water purifier. Primitive people developed a foolproof method to kill any harmful organisms in their water. They’d mix fermented juice from fruit (wine) and found the alcohol was a sufficient sanitizer making the water pure for drinking.
Marie Griffin, Wine Supervisor, West Florida